You are here
New Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
Due to deterioration of the COVID-19 situation, the Government of Bangladesh has imposed hard restrictions on the overall activities and movement starting from 14 April 2021. Therefore, Consular services (passports, police verification, driving license verification etc.) that require processing at Dhaka end are expected to face delay.
Bangladesh passport, presently as Machine Readable Passport (MRP), is issued by the Government of Bangladesh only to its citizens for the purpose of international travel. It must be either in the custody of the bearer or of a person duly authorized by its bearer. If lost or destroyed, the fact and circumstances must be immediately reported to the nearest Bangladesh Mission and also to the local police authorities.
Issuance of passports can be denied on grounds of suppression of facts or submission of incorrect information. Any damage to passport or unauthorized changes/corrections on a passport will render it invalid.
Government of Bangladesh from all its stations, within and outside Bangladesh, stopped issuing handwritten passport. By the time, validity of all the handwritten passports issued earlier have expired.
Government of Bangladesh is in the process of introducing E-passports. The announcement on the E-passport will be duly made.
How to apply for a New Machine-Readable Passport (MRP):
1. Apply online at the following link:
(A 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN) or National Identity Card (NID) Number of the applicant is required for online application. Those who do neither have NID card nor have done Birth Registration, may apply online for Birth Registration at the High Commission. For details, please Click here)
2. Print the online application once submitted.
3. Have the printed copy attested (at page- 4) by authorized official.
(MRP rules require all applicants to get certification/attestation from any authorised person in Australia or New Zealand like Councillor/JP//GP/Teacher/Notary Public/Solicitor/Public Servant about their identity. In case of difficulty in obtaining certification in Bangla, applicants may translate this part of the application form into English in a separate sheet of paper and obtain signature from the certifier. Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form)
4. Make the payment (Please see “Modes of Payment”)
5. Please book an appointment with the High Commission by sending an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for biometric data entry (fingerprint, signature & photograph) between 0930-1300 hrs of office days between Monday to Thursday.
(Biometric data entry is required only once for an adult. For children below 6 years, physical appearance at the High Commission for biometric data entry is not required. For children between 6-15 years, physical appearance is required in all occasions)
6. Please submit the following documents while appearing for biometric data entry:
- Copy of the filled-in MRP Application Form (duly attested by authorized attester).
- One (01) copy of recent passport size photograph of the applicant to be affixed on top of the 1st page. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, two (02) copies of photos as well as parents’ photos are required to be affixed on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parents’ photos are accepted.
- Photocopy of applicant's National ID Card or Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit number.
- Photocopies of information pages/ data pages of applicant’s existing Bangladesh hand-written Passport (valid or expired) along with the original passport.
- Proof of payment.
- Self-addressed pre-paid registered return envelope (requiring signature on delivery) or arrange pre-paid return courier if you desire to receive the passport by mail. (Please see more on Modes of Delivery)
The High Commission submits the application at the Department of Immigration & Passport (DIP) in Dhaka electronically after duly entering applicant’s fingerprints, signature in Electronic Pad and photographs. After police verification, Machine Readable Passports (MRP) are issued and printed by DIP in Dhaka.
Since passport applications are processed and printed in Dhaka and thereafter DIP forwards those to the High Commission by courier, the “Tentative Collection Date” shown on the “Delivery slip” is indicative only. As such, earlier understanding of “Express or Urgent” delivery does not hold in the present context beyond expedited handling at some steps in the process. The High Commission will contact the applicant once it receives the passport from Dhaka. However, the indicative delivery time frame is given below:
- For express/urgent payment: 20-25 working days
- For regular payment: 30-35 working days
Applicants may like to contact the High Commission by sending email at email@example.com to follow up on the progress if, in case, the High Commission does not contact within the stipulated time frame. Please mention your name, date of birth, enrolment number and its date in your email.
Note: As processing of passport applications involves Police verification, it is advisable to ensure that someone attends the verification team at the address provided at the passport application. If the verification team can not match the information provided at the application, the whole process of issuing passport gets delayed on which the High Commission has no control.
Collection in Person:
On receiving call from the High Commission, the applicants may collect the new passports from the High Commission personally. Please bring along the old passport as well as the “Delivery Slip”. The High Commission will hand over both the new and old one after necessary endorsement.
Collection by Mail:
If you have already provided a return envelope and the old passport in original on the day of biometric data entry, the High Commission will send both the new and old passports after necessary endorsement by mail. (Please see more on Modes of Delivery)
- Regular fee: A$ 145.00
- Urgent fee A$ 290.00
Fees for International Students:
- Regular Fee A$ 45.00
- Urgent Fee A$ 145.00.
(To avail the special rate for students, the following criteria have to be fulfilled:
- profession is mentioned as "student" in their passports;
- have arrived in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji from Bangladesh with valid student visa for the purpose of study;
- holds a valid student ID
However, following professionals having met the above criteria will be excluded:
i) University Teachers/Researchers who are pursuing studies through Government scholarship or through funding support from the host Government or any other bilateral/multilateral sources; and
ii) Students gainfully employed in Bangladesh or abroad and / or sponsored by his/her own employer)
Modes of Payment: (Click here)
- The High Commission is not responsible for documents lost or delayed in mail / Courier.
For applications in person- please appear at the High Commission between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm on the working days. No application in person would be received beyond this time except in case of emergency.