A 17 digit number is required for the issuance of Machine Readable Passport (MRP) which can be either the National Identity Number (NIN) or Birth Registration Number (BRN) of the applicant. As most of the expatriate Bangladeshis do not have NIN therefore applicants can have the IBRN (Interim Birth Registration Number) from the High Commission by applying online.
Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
(1) Online application have to be made from the following link http://passport.gov.bd
(2) For biometrics (to capture fingerprint, signature & photograph) of the MRP applicants: The applicant has to appear at Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra between 0930-1300 hrs on office open days (Monday to Thursday). It's first come first serve basis.
(3) Documents required:
- Copy of the filled-in MRP Application Form (4 pages with bar-code) duly attested by approved attester. Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form.
- One copy of recent passport size photograph to be affixed on top of the 1st page and duly attested on top of the picture by approved attester. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, parents’ photos are required to be appended on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos will be accepted.
- A photo copy of applicants National ID card or Birth Registration Certificate or Interim Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit.
- Copies of pages information/ data pages of applicant’s existing Bangladesh Passport (valid or expired) along with the original passport itself.
- Payment of applicable fees either as Postal Money Order, Bank Cheque or E.F.T. payable to Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra;
- Self-addressed pre-paid Platinum Express return envelope/courier for mail-in-service (signature on delivery).
Applicant’s Finger Prints, Signature in Electronic Pad and Photograph will be taken at the biometric-enrolment booth at the High Commission and submitted to the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka where, after due police verification, Machine Readable Passport (MRP) will be issued and printed.
Delivery of passport:
It may take 25-28 working days for express delivery and 40-45 working days for regular delivery of MRP by the High Commission. However, this timelines are subject to time taken for verification of antecedents of applicants by Bangladesh authorities (by police). Generally, applicants are expected to receive passports (MRP) within this timeframe except for whose verification processess take additional time for various reasons on which the High Commission has no control.
Applicants need to contact the High Commission preferably by e-mail email@example.com or over telephone for confirmation of arrival of passports from Dhaka. Upon confirmation from the High Commission the applicant shall choose either of the following options:
- Come to the High Commission in person along with applicant’s old Bangladesh Passport and delivery slip to collect the new passport. New MRP will be handed over along with the old passport.
- Send his/her old Bangladesh Passport and delivery slip by express mail to this High Commission. Both passports will be posted by the self-addressed pre-paid Express envelope/Courier (signature on delivery), which was deposited at the time of submission of application by the applicant. Each applicant has to provide with the seperate envelop.
Fees and Mode of Payment:
Regular fee : A$ 145.00, Urgent fee A$ 290.00
For International Student: Regular Fee A$ 45.00, Urgent Fee A$ 145.00. Bangladeshi students whose profession is mentioned as "student" in their passports and who have arrived in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji from Bangladesh with valid student visa and who holds a valid student ID. However, following categories will not be considered for concessional student fees:
a. University Teachers/Researchers who are pursuing studies through Government scholarship or through funding support from the host Govermnet or any other bilatreral/multilateral sources; and
b. Students gailfully employed in Bangladesh or abroad and / or sponsored by his/her own employer.
Mode of Payment
- by postal money order/bank cheque payable to Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra or
- through Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT ):
- Account Name: Bangladesh High Commission
Account No: 145274
Bank Name: Westpac
Swift Code: WPACAU2S (applicable for overseas transaction only)
- The overseas applicants (who are applying from New Zealand & Fiji) are arequested to make their payment by Bank Cheque (International Bank Draft).
Please transfer the fee at least 03 working days before appointment and attach a copy of the transaction with the MRP form (seperate transaction must be made for each applicant)
- Account Name: Bangladesh High Commission
Please be noted that the consular fees are non-refundable even the application is denied or application is withdrawn.
Cash/credit card/EFTPOS/personal cheque/Direct Deposit are not accepted.
N.B. Efforts are being made to make EFTPOS available at the chancery.
Applicants, who wish to apply for new Bangladesh Passport against their lost Bangladesh passport, are requested to follow the entire MRP procedure mentioned in the web page. They are further requested to bring a detailed police report.
Machine Readable Passport for New Born & Child (upto 3 years old):
- Please follow Requirements (1) & (3) as mentioned in MRP section and
- Enclose attested Birth Certificate or IBRN (contains 17-digit number) of the child and copies of Bangladesh passport of parents
- 02(two) copies passport size photographs (name should be mentioned on the back side)
- Self-addressed return platinum express mail/courier for mail-in service (signature on delivery)
- Please send filled-in MRP form (4 pages with bar code) with all required papers through express mail/courier
- A new born baby & child (upto 3 years old) does not require to come to the High Commission for biometrics.
Re-Issue of Machine Readable Passport :
- Please follow Requirements (1) & (3) as mentioned in MRP section;
- Please send existing original MRP or attested copy with the application form. The old/existing MRP has to be submitted for necessary stamp/endorsement of cross-reference with the New Passport (the old MRP will be returned with the new passport at the time of delivery)
- Please ensure to attach a copy of 17-digit birth certificate/ 13-digit National ID which was submitted at the issuance time of existing MRP;
- If you want to correct/Alter any information of your present passport (such as present address, emergency contact address, marital status, Profession etc.), please attach a proof of your correction/Alteration & also fill-out the following form (for correction: one has to fill-out DIP form 1 & DIP form 2): http://www.dip.gov.bd/site/page/17da3dd2-2bb4-4c58-bbc0-0efbfc6ba478/Re-Issue/Information-Alteration/Correction-Application-Form (For change of profession as a technical expert i.e. Engineer, Physician, Legal Practitioner, Teacher, Driver etc. Please attach a certified/attested copy of Education/Professional certificate);
- Self-addressed return express mail/courier for mail-in service (signature on delivery) ;
- Please send filled-in MRP form with required all papers through express mail/courier (signature on delivery) to the High Commission;
- The MRP re-issue applicant (above 16 years of age) may not be required to come in person to the High Commission for biometrics.
- View/Download Consular Fee Chart [PDF, 235 KB]
Please read the General Information before filling out the forms. All forms are in PDF format. You will need PDF reader in your computer to read these forms. If you don't have the PDF reader, you may download Acrobat PDF reader for free.
If you are a Bangladeshi or Bangladesh origin Australian, please register.