A Bangladesh passport is a travel document issued by the Government of Bangladesh only to its citizens for the purpose of international travel. It must be either be in the custody of the bearer or of a person duly authorized by its bearer. If lost or destroyed, the fact and circumstances must be immediately reported to the nearest Bangladesh Mission and also to the local police authorities.
Issuance of passports can be denied on grounds of suppression of facts or submission of incorrect information. Any willful damage to passport or unauthorized changes/corrections on a passport will render it invalid.
Requirements for New Machine Readable Passport (MRP):
1. A 17 digit Birth Registration Number (BRN) or National Identity Card (NID) Number of the applicant is required for the issuance of Machine Readable Passport (MRP). Those who do not have NID number, may apply online for BRN (Birth Registration Number) from the High Commission.
2. Online application has to be made from the following link:
3. For biometric data entry (to capture fingerprint, signature & photograph), the applicant has to appear at Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra in person between 0930-1300 hrs on working days (Monday to Thursday). Please book appointment via email (email@example.com)
4. The following documents will be required:
- Copy of the filled-in MRP Application Form (4 pages with bar-code duly attested by approved attester). Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form.
- One copy of recent passport size photograph to be affixed on top of the 1st page. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, parents’ photos are required to be appended on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos will be accepted.
- Photocopy of applicant's National ID Card or Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit number.
- Copies of pages information/ data pages of applicant’s existing Bangladesh hand written Passport (valid or expired) along with the original passport itself.
- Payment of applicable fees either as Postal Money Order, Bank Cheque or E.F.T. payable to Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra;
- Self-addressed pre-paid registered Express return envelope/courier for mail-in-service (signature on delivery).
Applicant’s finger prints, signature in Electronic Pad and photograph will be taken at the biometric-enrolment booth at the High Commission and submitted to the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka where, after due police verification, Machine Readable Passport (MRP) will be issued and printed.
Delivery of passport:
MRPs are printed at the Department of Immigration and Paspsorts in Dhaka and delivery date is subject to receipt from Dhaka after verification of antecedents of applicants by Bangladesh authorities (by police). Usually, it may take 20-25 working days for express delivery and 30-35 working days for regular delivery. Generally, applicants are expected to receive passports (MRP) within this timeframe except for whose verification processess take additional time for various reasons on which the High Commission has no control.
Applicants will be contacted by the High Commission preferably by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or over telephone when received from Dhaka and ready for delivery. The applicant shall choose either of the following options:
Collection in Person:
Come to the High Commission in person along with delivery slip to collect the new passport. New MRP will be handed over along with the old passport after providing necessary stamp/endorsement of cross-reference with the new passport
Collection by Courier:
Both new and old passports will be posted by the self-addressed pre-paid registered envelope/courier (signature on delivery), which was deposited at the time of submission of application by the applicant. Each applicant has to provide with seperate envelope.
Fees and Mode of Payment:
Regular fee : A$ 145.00, Urgent fee A$ 290.00
For International Student: Regular Fee A$ 45.00, Urgent Fee A$ 145.00. Bangladeshi students whose profession is mentioned as "student" in their passports and who have arrived in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji from Bangladesh with valid student visa and who holds a valid student ID is entitled for student fee. However, following categories will not be considered for concessional student fees:
a. University Teachers/Researchers who are pursuing studies through Government scholarship or through funding support from the host Govermnet or any other bilatreral/multilateral sources; and
b. Students gainfully employed in Bangladesh or abroad and / or sponsored by his/her own employer.
Payment may be made by any of the following ways:
- by postal money order/bank cheque payable to Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra or
- through Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT ):
- Account Name: Bangladesh High Commission
Account No: 145274
Bank Name: Westpac
Swift Code: WPACAU2S (applicable for overseas transaction only)
- The overseas applicants (who are applying from New Zealand & Fiji) are requested to make their payment by Bank Cheque (International Bank Draft).
Please transfer the fee at least 03 working days before appointment and attach a copy of the transaction with the MRP form (seperate transaction must be made for each applicant)
- Account Name: Bangladesh High Commission
Please note that the consular fees are non-refundable even the application is denied or application is withdrawn.
Cash/credit card/EFTPOS/personal cheque/Direct Deposit are not accepted.
N.B. Efforts are being made to make EFTPOS available at the chancery.
A police report will be required in addition to the documents as mentioned in the new Machine Readable Passport section for the applicants who wish to apply for passport aganist their lost passports.
Machine Readable Passport for new born & child (upto 5 years old):
- Please follow requirements (1) & (3) as mentioned in new MRP section and
- Enclose attested Birth Certificate or BRN (contains 17-digit number) of the child and copies of Bangladesh passport of either parents
- 02 (two) copies passport size photographs (name should be mentioned on the back side)
- Self-addressed return express mail/courier for mail-in service (signature on delivery)
- Filled-in MRP form (4 pages with bar code) with all required papers through express mail/courier
- A new born baby & child (upto 5 years old) does not require to come to the High Commission for biometric data entry.
Re-Issue of Machine Readable Passport :
- Please follow requirements (1) & (3) as mentioned in MRP section;
- Please send existing original MRP or attested copy with the application form. The old/existing MRP has to be submitted for necessary stamp/endorsement of cross-reference with the New Passport (the old MRP will be returned with the new passport at the time of delivery)
- Please attach a copy of 17-digit birth certificate/ 13-digit National ID which was submitted at the time of issuance existing MRP;
- If you want to correct/alter any information of your present passport (such as present address, emergency contact address, marital status, Profession etc.), please attach a proof of your correction/alteration & also fill-out the following form (for correction: one has to fill-out DIP form 1 & DIP form 2): http://www.dip.gov.bd/site/page/17da3dd2-2bb4-4c58-bbc0-0efbfc6ba478/Re-Issue/Information-Alteration/Correction-Application-Form (For change of profession as a technical expert i.e. Engineer, Physician, Legal Practitioner, Teacher, Driver etc. please attach a certified/attested copy of Education/Professional certificate); (Please note that the delivery time of passports varies for the applicants who applied for correction/alteration/change of any information of the present passport. It requires further approval from the DIP, Dhaka).
- Self-addressed return express mail/courier for mail-in service (signature on delivery) ;
- Filled-in MRP form with all required papers through express mail/courier (signature on delivery) to the High Commission;
- The MRP re-issue applicant (above 16 years of age) may not be required to come in person to the High Commission for biometrics.
- View/Download Consular Fee Chart [PDF, 235 KB]
Please read the General Information before filling out the forms. All forms are in PDF format. You will need PDF reader in your computer to read these forms. If you don't have the PDF reader, you may download Acrobat PDF reader for free.
If you are a Bangladeshi or Bangladesh origin Australian, please register.